Who can help ? 

What if I need help with the behaviour of my dog?

Do your research and find a behaviourist that suits who you are. We will be happy to discuss things with you as will your vet. Tackling issues early makes a huge difference. If you can when you get a new dog, involve a behaviourist from day one. A behaviourist is not the same as a trainer, although both employ similar techniques. Both with help with dog behavouir. A trainer can help with teaching your dog to do a specific task or fun activities for you and your dog to share such as fly ball and agility. A behaviourist will review your dogs behaviour and how you and your family are responding to that behaviour and help you make adjustments to bring about the change you need. Your commitment to your pet is to ask for help and commit to putting in the changes that are needed to bring about a happy home. Most of the occassions when a behaviourist or trainer is unable to help is when an owner does not adopt the "whole" method and picks out things that suit. This is why it is important that you find a good match for you and your family and then commit completely to the rules that are explained. 

K9Connect ; Adrienne Banks http://www.k9-connect.co.uk/

 Stewart Nicholson; 07960368815

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/ The Dogs Trust have lots of helpful short videos to help with specific issues.

What if I can’t afford a microchip? 

At the moment the Dogs Trust is offering free microchips. We can do them here at the kennels or if you don’t live locally see the website https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/microchipping/lost-without-a-chip  

What if I can’t afford to get my pet neutered? 

The Blue Cross is able to offer neutering vouchers to people on means tested benefits or those with Bull Breeds. download a form from their website.   https://www.bluecross.org.uk/neutering-grant.

The Dogs Trust also support neutering for people on means tested benefits with Bull breeds, Lurchers, Huskys, Malumutes, German Shephers, Samoyed, Jack Russells, Collies or crossbreeds of these and you have a post code from their list which includes the LA postcode. see https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/neutering/low-cost-neutering for more information. 

The Cats Protection League also helps with neutering of cat on a means tested basis, see http://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/neutering/financial-assistance or phone 03000 12 12 12

Westmorland RSPCA also helps support neutering of feral or farm cats and means tested neutering support for animals in the Westmorland area. 

What if I am in my later years and I am struggling to cope with a much loved pet?

The Cinnamon Trust http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/home.php is charity that aims to support people in their later years to keep their pets, by linking volunteers with pet owners who can “hold hands” with the owner and support with dog walking, foster care or even help clean out a bird’s cage.   

What if I work a lot but would like contact with pets?

Think about volunteering for your local rescue centre or supporting charities such as the Cinnamon Trust. It may give you an opportunity to help a pet or owner whilst getting regular contact with an animal.  

What if I can’t afford the vets fees?

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Universal Credit you may be eligible for support from the PDSA. https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility It is best to register before you pet becomes ill. We also recommend that if you have concerns about being able to afford vet fees, you take out pet insurance.

Your local RSPCA may be able to help on a means tested basis.

The Blue Cross offers support on a means tested basis. https://www.bluecross.org.uk/my-pet-eligible-veterinary-treatment 

Dont forget the easiest way to protect yourself is to set up pet insurance to help guard against the unexpected. 


What if a dog is barking all day and causing a nuisance? 

Your local council is the place you report noise nuisance. It is often helpful to build a picture of the times and severity of the noise to help the council tackle the problem. A diary or log of events will help. Often owners are unaware of the dog barking whilst they are out, so if you know who’s dog it is, a calm conversation about the noise can be enough for them to take action.  


What if a dog is dangerously out of control? 

If a dog is dangerously out of control and a risk to the public, then the police should be called. Try not corner the dog, but if it is in a garden or field where the gate can be shut to prevent it escaping, then it helps to keep it contained until help can arrive. Never take undue risks.

What if I see a dog poo in a public place and the owner not pick it up?

This is something that should be reported to the council. Again if you can gather data to identify a pattern of events e.g, the dog appears at 9:30 every weekday, but not at weekends, then this helps the council to tackle the issue and catch the offender.

What if I am aware of a pet being abandoned in an empty property?

If you can provide them with food and water to help their immediate needs, this is very helpful. Then call the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999 


What if I believe an animal is being cruelly treated?

It is important that the person who has witnessed the cruelty is the one who phones the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999. It should not be hear-say. Describe the facts of what is seen and an exact location. It may take time for the RSPCA to build a picture of events and sometimes it is not possible for the inspector to come back to you and tell you the outcome, so if you don’t hear anything you have not been ignored. 


What if I find an animal in distress?

If you believe the animal needs veterinary attention and you feel you can safely transport the animal to a local vet, this is the quickest way to get the animal the attention it needs. Please, however be careful. Any animal with injuries is much more likely to attack to defend itself or express it’s pain, so consider carefully your safety first.

Do not remove young wild animals unless absolutely necessary for their safey. Fledglings will often be found on their own and unable to fly, this is perfectly normal and interferance will cause more harm than good. If you need to move them, move them a short distance out of danger.  Their mother is generally close by and will come back for them.

If you are not able to relieve the distress yourself call the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999